The first method and hardest is to register your 37mm launcher personally. First you will need to get a copy of ATF-Form-1 and ATF Form 5330.20— Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B). You can link to both forms from the ATF FORMS page. Then you will need to obtain 2 ATF approved fingerprint cards and two 2"x2" passport photos. First you will need to fill out your Form-1 in duplicate, then attach your 2x2 photo to the back of each copy. Next your will need to find a local police department or company to fingerprint you. After this is done you will need to submit your Filled our form to the Local CLEO (chief law enforcement officer). You may or may not have a problem at this point. Your future Destructive Device is completely in his hands. Once your formed is signed by the CLEO you now must send duplicate copy's of your Form-1 with your attached photos, your ATF Form 5330.20— Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B), fingerprint cards, and a check for $200 for your tax stamp.
The second method and in my opinion the easiest is the Trust. First you will need to create a Revocable Living Trust. There are several ways to do this. First you can have a lawyer draft one for you, however this is going to cost you at least $500. Second you can use an on-line legal site such as LegalZoom.com, they will charge you around $250. The best way in my opinion is to go to your local office supply store (Office Max or Staples) and buy a trust kit for around $30. The kit has easy to follow instructions. All you do is fill in the blanks. Then you will need to fill out your ATF-Form-1 and ATF Form 5330.20— Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) in duplicate. You will need to make a copy of the signed trust, the assignment of property to trust form, and the schedule of assets (these will all come in your kit) DO NOT SEND THE ORIGINAL!! When you use a trust to register your 37mm launcher you DO NOT have to provide fingerprint cards, 2x2 photos, and you DO NOT have to get your local CLEO (Chief Law Enforcment Officer) to sign your form. Next gather all your documents (Form 1, 18 U.S.C complience form, a copy of your trust, a copy of your schedule of assets, and assignment of property of trust) and make sure to include a check for your tax stamp in the amount of $200.
The third method is to hold your 37mm device in a corporation that you own. The process of filing your Form-1 in the name of a corporation is the same as doing it in a trust, but instead of creating a trust you create or use a current corporation. However there are some drawbacks to this method. One if your company ever goes under you will have to quickly transfer your weapon into something else and pay the $200 tax again. You may also have to pay tax's on your launcher every year since it is a asset of the corporation. If you create a corporation to simply hold class three items and do not plan on using it for buisness reasons it could cause some problems and cost a lot of money to simply keep the corporation going.
1. When filling out your form 1 make sure in box 3b that you type or print below and between the dots
2. When filling out box 3b make sure to fill it out in the name of the trust. I just used my name for the trust (the John doe Trust)
3. Make sure you print legibly
4. Make sure your fingerprints (if required) are not smudged and in black ink
5. Do not abbreviate anything
6. Print your name in box 10 followed by "grantor" and "revocable living trust"
7. If your launcher is not serial numbered you must get it done before you send in your forms
8. Box 4i why do you intend to make firearm. Best answer "lawful use"
9. Make sure you send everything in duplicate and well organized
10. Most important BE PATIENT after you mail in your form expect to wait up to 5 months, especially if this is your first class 3 item. After your first class 3 item the normal wait time is around 3 months.
11. Do not call and pester the ATF!!!!